Free Downloads: Travel Consent Letter (Government of Canada template)

Example of Travel consent letter image

Let’s get started

What is a travel consent letter?

  • Is a letter to allow your child to travel alone, or travel with only one parent, or relatives.
  • The Government of Canada strongly recommends that Canadian children carry a notarized consent letter.
  • For the purposes of this consent letter, a Canadian child is defined as anyone who is under the age of majority (18 or 19, depending on the province or territory of residence).
travel consent letter family image
Travel consent letter image for more information

Legal requirements

Is a travel consent letter legally required?

  • A consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, but it can simplify international travel for Canadian children, as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. The letter demonstrates that Canadian children have permission to travel abroad from parents or guardians who are not accompanying them.
  • The Government of Canada recommends that you talk to a lawyer about the legal issues that apply to you and your children’s unique situation, particularly if your parenting arrangement has special terms governing international travel. Carrying a consent letter does not guarantee that children will be allowed to enter or leave a country, as every country has its own entry and exit requirements.

Additional information

Other requirements for travel consent letters

For additional information about entry and exit requirements for Canadian children travelling alone, with only one parent or with another accompanying person, see the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories or contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the destination country.

The Government of Canada recommends that the letter be signed by every non-accompanying person or organization with the legal right to make major decisions for the child, including anyone with:

  • custody rights,
  • guardianship rights, or
  • parental authority (in Quebec only)

The Government of Canada also recommend that the letter be signed by any non-accompanying parent who has access to the child. We cannot provide legal advice as we are not a law firm, so if you have any questions about this form you should consult a lawyer. Or, email us for a lawyer referral.

travel consent letters for additional information

Got your document all set?

Book your online appointment today.

Book Now