Your Guide to the Application to Change an Adult’s Name Form

In Ontario, the Application to Change an Adult’s Name (007-11155E) should be used if you want to change your own name and you are 16 years of age or older and have lied in Ontario for the last 12 months before sending the application.

It is important to note that if:

  • you’re 16 or 17 years old, you will need consent from each person who has legal custody of you before you can change your name;
  • you’re married or have signed a Joint Declaration of Conjugal Relationship, you must give your partner/spouse notice that you’re changing your name; and
  • you need a police record check as part of your legal name change application.

If your name change is approved, you will get:

  • a change of name certificate showing your previous name and your new name. You can use this certificate to change your name on other personal documents such as your driver’s licence or credit cards; and
  • a new birth certificate with your new name.

Swearing or Affirming

The application must be sworn or affirmed that the information is true before a commissioner for taking affidavits or a notary public. It is a criminal offence to swear a false or misleading affidavit and it is your responsibility to make sure that the information is true.

Up until recently, sworn statements were required to be signed and witnessed in-person. The Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General is now permitting lawyers and notaries to virtually witness the physical signing of sworn statements. Once the application is complete, you can book an appointment online to notarize the form using our virtual witnessing service.

Additional Resources

How can Notary Pro Help? 

At Notary Pro, we can help you to commission your sworn statement before a notary public. We offer convenient in-person notary services with locations all over Canada, or remote online notarization. Visit us at to see how we can help you further?

Got your document all set?

Book your online appointment today.

Book Now