Recommended Consent Letter for Children Travelling Abroad

Free Downloads: Travel Consent Letter (Government of Canada template)

To save: Right click to “Save as” on laptop / desktop

Downloaded the letter and need it notarized? Book online in seconds by clicking below.

What is a travel consent letter?

  • If your child will be traveling abroad alone, or only one parent is joining the child who is traveling, the Government of Canada strongly recommends that Canadian children carry a notarized consent letter if they are travelling abroad alone, with only one parent or legal guardian, with friends or relatives or with a group.
  • For the purposes of this consent letter, a Canadian child is defined as anyone who is under the age of majority (18 or 19, depending on the province or territory of residence).

Book Notary Appointment Now: Notary Pro Canada notarizes hundreds of travel consent letters every year for only $30 (HST included) for the first notarized letter, and $20 each thereafter. Book online below or call toll-free 1-888-313-0909.

If you already have a consent letter ready, notarize it by booking online below.

Is a travel consent letter legally required?

  • A consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, but it can simplify international travel for Canadian children, as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. The letter demonstrates that Canadian children have permission to travel abroad from parents or guardians who are not accompanying them.
  • The Government of Canada recommends that you talk to a lawyer about the legal issues that apply to you and your children’s unique situation, particularly if your parenting arrangement has special terms governing international travel. Carrying a consent letter does not guarantee that children will be allowed to enter or leave a country, as every country has its own entry and exit requirements.

For additional information about entry and exit requirements for Canadian children travelling alone, with only one parent or with another accompanying person, see the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories or contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the destination country.

The Government of Canada recommends that the letter be signed by every non-accompanying person or organization with the legal right to make major decisions for the child, including anyone with:

  • custody rights,
  • guardianship rights, or
  • parental authority (in Quebec only)

The Government of Canada also recommend that the letter be signed by any non-accompanying parent who has access to the child. We cannot provide legal advice as we are not a law firm, so if you have any questions about this form you should consult a lawyer. Or, email us for a lawyer referral.

Notary Pro Canada is Ontario’s top-rated notary public and commissioner of oaths. Every year we notarize hundreds of travel consent letters.

Book your notary appointment now, or call 1-888-313-0909.